The name of the town may have been inspired from its fertile vineyards which often produced abundant quantities of grapes, the size of which was twice the regular size of a cluster of grapes. Thus the town was called Wadi Baanqoudain (Arabic for a ‘valley of the double clusters’.)
The town is located in the Qada’a of Jezzine at an altitude of 300 meters above the sea level. It has a small surface of 100 hectares and rests 50 kilometers away from Beirut. Wadi Baanqoudain may be reached by passing through the Saida-Jezzine route. The town is situated between the towns of Laba’a, Ain El-Mir, Baisour and Mrah El-Hbas.
Population and houses
There are about 150 houses in the town in addition to dozens of commercial shops. According to the town’s personal status registers, the registered population amounts to 1000 people, 75% of whom are Maronite and 25% are Catholic.
Registered voters in the town totaled 400 in 2000, 243 of whom exercised their voting rights. The number rose to 457 in 2009 with 305 people casting their votes. Voters are distributed over the following families:
Abou Samra: 7
There is no municipality in Wadi Baanqoudain and the local authority is vested in the Mukhtar.
No public or private schools are present in Wadi Baanqoudain and students are educated in the neighboring schools of Labaa and Jezzine.
The families habiting in the town live off agriculture or work jobs in both the public and private sector. Some are employed in Saida and the vicinity.
The town hosts the historic Mar Antonios Church. The church was built in 1912 and was demolished during the war but reconstructed in 1992.